Tuesday 6 August 2013



Purging ….

Well, here I am again.  It was very exciting to find that I had a visitor to my very first blog posting and was delighted to find that a comment was waiting for me when I signed on today. Welcome to my first follower!. 
 
It was rather dull and grey outside this morning so I thought it would be a good time to do some purging.  I’ve sorted through some more books and have two bags filled ready to be passed along to a couple of friends and have taken a bag full over to my local Seniors’ Club to share on the free library shelves there.  I have always had a very difficult time parting with books but I am getting better lately, largely due to a lack of storage space for them.  This is likely to continue to be an on-going issue though (insert big sigh here) as I keep acquiring more books.  They seem to be somehow determined to throw themselves (quite uninvited, I might add) into my shopping basket when I am near any bookshelves in the shops and the lonely, soon-to-be-homeless books piled willy-nilly in boxes at yard sales leap out in glee when they see me coming and contentedly follow me home.  Well, that’s my story anyway …. and I’m sticking to it!  

I have enjoyed having a bit of free time this week to indulge in a couple of good reads.  I finished reading Philippa Gregory’s ‘The Other Boleyn Girl’ which I had been meaning to read for such a very long time and then moved on to ‘Chocolat’ which I thoroughly enjoyed (so now I guess I need to see the movie!).  I am now settled happily into ‘The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society’.  Last week I read Rosemary Sutcliffe’s ‘The Lantern Bearers’, a very good story set at the end of the Roman occupation of Britain.  I found it equally as captivating as her ‘Eagle of the Ninth’ which I read many years ago.  I want to read the third book in Alan Bradley’s ‘Flavia de Luce’ series soon, as I liked the first two so much although I must admit that I did prefer the first book in the series (The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie) to the one that followed it.  Perhaps I just hadn’t been prepared for the sort of odd twist at the end of ‘The Weed that Strings the Hangman’s Bag’.  Still, I do want to read my way through the series as I quite like the characters the author has created. 

Off now to have a cup of tea and a toasted tomato sandwich with some salad (yum) and then I have a couple of birthday gifts to wrap for a little party I am attending this coming weekend.  In the next day or so, I will try and upload a photo or two and see how I get along trying to figure that out.    

Bye for now, Nan

 

1 comment:

  1. I have the same issues with books, sneaky little things aren't they lol.
    I read the Potato pie book not long ago and despite a slow start I ended up really enjoying it, and learning a few interesting facts about that period of Guernsey's history. I loved how it was written as letters, nobody writes letters these days.

    ReplyDelete