Thursday 22 August 2013

Day Tripping .....


I’ve enjoyed a few day trips out and about this summer.  I am fortunate to have an Attractions Ontario card (available from my place of employment) so receive good discounts or free admission to many of the province’s tourist attractions.

One of my days out was a lovely trip to Toronto, including a visit to the Toronto Islands with my DD, DSiL and 3 of my DG’s.   The ferry ride to the islands was aboard the ‘Sam McBride’.  Interestingly it was put into service back in 1939 so the first time I rode it, at the age of 5, it had only been in operation for 15 years.  Now, nearly 60 years later, it is still making several crossings each day, carrying visitors (and residents) to and from the island ferry docks.
 
It was a nice day (sunny but not too hot) to visit the Centreville Amusement Park where I had a couple of rides on the lovely antique carousel there and had a good time watching the little ones have a turn on the fun rides and amusements.
 
 
                                                   
                                                      The lovely old carousel.
.
Then I enjoyed a nice walk along the lake shore to the Gibraltar Point lighthouse.  It’s the oldest of its kind on the Great Lakes …. about 205 years old, I believe.  Sadly, the interior is not open to the public but the outside has been kept in good repair.  Its location looks a bit odd for a lighthouse; instead of standing proudly on the edge of the lake as it did in its prime, it now stands inland and is surrounded by trees instead of water.  This is due to the build up of so much sand over the years that the beach is now actually quite a distance away from the lighthouse.  The light keeper’s house is long gone but there is a rather interesting story about an early lighthouse keeper who went missing and the area around the lighthouse is reputed to be haunted. 


 
            Gibraltar Point Lighthouse .... still standing tall after more than 200 years.
 
Hope everyone else is enjoying some great summer-time adventures!
Bye for now …. Nan

2 comments:

  1. I hope you enjoy writing your blog.I have enjoyed reading your posts so far :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you found me, and happy to find you. I have never been to Canada but have a friend who has been going every year for over 20 years. My long haul is to Australia to see my baby brother.

    ReplyDelete